Plagiocephaly and Chiropractic
What is Plagiocephaly?
Plagiocephaly, also known as Flat Head Syndrome, is a condition affecting babies worldwide. It occurs when a baby sleeps on their back too much with their head turned to the side during their first few months, but also it can happen during Labour.
Flat Head Syndrome got its name because the laying positions cause a flat spot on the baby’s head, either on one side or back of their head.
Plagiocephaly can also be congenital, and this happens when joints between an infant’s skull bones grow too early.
Here is more about how the two types of Plagiocephaly differ:
– this is a result of the baby’s sleeping position and is the most common type of Plagiocephaly
– this type of Plagiocephaly is present at birth and is caused by the closing of a suture that runs from the top of the head toward the ears. If left untreated, it can cause head deformities, developmental delay, and increased inter cranial pressure.
What are the Symptoms of Plagiocephaly?
Symptoms of Positional Plagiocephaly include:
- Flattening on the side or back of the head
- One ear pushed more forward than the other on the head
- Facial abnormalities including uneven cheekbones or a lower jaw
Symptoms of Congenital Plagiocephaly include:
- A soft spot (fontanel) on the newborn’s skull
- Visible and prominent blood vessels in the scalp
- Poor feeding
How Do Doctors Diagnose Plagiocephaly?
When diagnosing Plagiocephaly, determining if it is positional or congenital is the first priority, So This can be done by physically examining the child’s head, and imaging such as X-rays and CT scans can be used to confirm if it is congenital.
Most babies diagnosed with Positional Plagiocephaly only need minor treatment, which can include:
- Head repositioning so the baby moves their head more often
- An increase in tummy time to improve range of motion
- Wearing a helmet to reshape the skull
How Can Plagiocephaly Be Treated By a Professional?
Chiropractic care can can help manage Plagiocephaly along with stretching and positioning. Adjustments, stretching, and education on at home treatment are all integral parts of the process, then In most cases, Plagiocephaly can be successfully treated without surgery.
Dr. Harmony Mir is a chiropractor that has keen interest in Pediatrics and pregnancy and is fully equipped to treat Plagiocephaly. If you would like to make an appointment with Dr. Harmony, you can give Harmony Chiropractic and Wellness Clinic a call at (250) 868-8086 or visit out online booking site https://harmonychiropracticclinic.janeapp.com .